Friday, November 12, 2010

Getting Back to Normal Life

We've been back in Halifax for about two days now and am slowly trying to get back to normal life.  After such a long trip I just feel tired to the core of my being.  I am still off in my internal clock by about 2 hours so still have some adjusting to do before I'm back to work next week.

The trip back seemed less organized to me than the trip to Bulgaria.  Every airport we arrived at was confused about the scooter and its battery.  I also found that the airport staff wasn't as helpful on the trip back than on our trip there.  Several times I was responsible for pushing her wheelchair as they didn't have staff to do it.  My personal favourite moment of the whole day was when they pushed us to a security gate and then said to me that they would try to send somebody to push the chair but if we wanted to make our plane I should probably push the wheelchair myself and run. 

Mom is not as tired as I am now that we are home.  I can't remember the last time she had more energy than me!  She's been noticing lots of little changes in the last few days - being able to get out of bed from the other (not wrong) side of the bed, using her bad hand to power her scooter, and moving quicker.  Today she "walked" across the my living room without a cane.  This would be about a four metre walk and it was a pretty shaky/draggy walk but still, she made it.

Mom spent all day shopping with her sister Margaret.  They left my place around 9:30 am and came back around 5:30 pm.  Mom isn't feeling tired like she normally would be and still has energy this evening to do some puttering around. 

It has been really nice to be home though.  We've had lots of phone calls and visits of people wanted to see how mom is doing now that she is home.  Its been really nice to share our pictures with everyone and to see all the support.  I know mom is really looking forward to getting back to Peace River and seeing everyone there.

I have to also apologize for some the blog spelling while I was in Bulgaria.  What I didn't realize when I started the blog is that blogger is an international website so when the computer was in Bulgaria the website thought I was Bulgarian!  Spellchecker didn't work and ever so often decided to change words into Bulgarian for me.  It was really helpful.  Ha Ha.  I'm going to eventually go back into past posts and try to fix these mistakes but in the mean time just remember one of my favourite quotes: "It is a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word." (US President Andrew Jackson)

No comments: